Burkina Faso – Community Projects
Our community development team has undertaken visits and discussions with the Batie medical centre, to identify current and future needs for enhancement of health services.
As a result, the following have been carried out:
• provision of antivenins for snake attacks;
• construction of a water tank and related connections to provide running water in the centre;
• implementing solar energy installations to provide lighting to critical areas in the centre;
• provision of advanced haematology equipment and kits; and
• provision of cleaning kits and contracting professional cleaning services to ensure high levels of hygiene.
Image: Water bore built by Centamin in Batie
Stakeholder engagement is undertaken through individual and group meetings to discuss concerns.
• Access to exploration land;
• Identification of sacred sites that must not be disturbed
• Compensation for removing trees or disturbing land
• Conflict management
Community development initiatives have targeted education, health services, social involvement, and livelihood.
• Internships at the mechanical department at the Batie West camp; and
• Internships for geology students in the exploration department.
Enhancing health services
• Supporting the Batie medical centre through providing antivenins, running water, power access, analysis equipment, and financing hygiene services; and
• Repair of water bore for the Wadaradoo maternity clinic.
Image: School building built by Centamin near Napelepera